Friday, June 24, 2011

Friday Favorites

This week just flew by and it is Friday again. This summer is flying by and I am so hoping that the weather makes a turn and catches up with the date on the calender. It has been a cold and rainy spring and summer and I think I know we are all ready for some nice summer weather!

Friday Favorites


Some things that made me smile these past couple of weeks (since I missed doing this post last week):

1)  Pinterest
I have gotten lost on this virtual pinboard sight for hours. It is very addictive but so much fun and a great place to find pretty things and to 'catalog the things you love'. 
Go HERE to see what it is all about.

2)  Lake Harriet (and the other lakes in the chain of lakes).
This is one of my favorite summer activities. I love taking the dog down to one of the lakes and heading out on one of the awesome walking paths. Always great scenery, fun people watching, and a fun way to get in a little exercise. (Plus, it always brings back fun memories from high school cross country. We spent many hours running these lakes.)

IMG_8431


3)  Fruit Pizza
A great summer dessert and always a favorite in our house!

IMG_9564


Recipe:
1 package refrigerated sugar cookie dough
1 (8 ounces) cream cheese
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
Assorted fresh fruit, such as strawberries, blueberries. kiwi, etc. cut into pieces

Place rolled out dough on baking sheet or baking stone. Bake 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
For topping, combine cream cheese, vanilla and sugar and spread over cookie dough. Then place on the fruit.


4) A new outfit from Chico's
I found an outfit in the June catalog that I just fell in love with. I kept that catalog open to that page on my kitchen island for a couple of weeks and would randomly say to any of the 4 boys in my house "isn't this outfit so cute, and wouldn't it look adorable on me?"  :) I got a lot of "sure Mom" and "ya's" but they were just not as excited as I was about it. :) Anyway, Pete surprised me one day last week with lunch out at Mall of America and then a little shopping trip to to get this outfit!! He even patiently waited while I tried the outfit on! So sweet!



5)  Homemade pesto
Made with fresh basil from my herb garden. I made a batch of this last night for dinner. I love the smell of fresh basil!

IMG_9566


Recipe:
2 cups packed basil leaves
2 cloves garlic
1/4 cup pine nuts
2/3 cup olive oil
kosher salt and pepper
1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, grated

Combine basil, garlic and pine nuts in a food processor and pulse until coarsely chopped. Add the olive oil and process until fully mixed and smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Mix in Parmesan cheese. And it is ready to serve. {This freezes well.}

No comments: