Wednesday, May 2, 2012

memory lane :: Old Stomping Ground

Recently Drew had to take a soccer refereeing clinic in a city about 40 minutes from our house. The clinic was only 2 hours long so it really didn't make sense to drive all the way back home in between and then back out to pick him up.

So Pete and I decided to grab some dinner after dropping Drew off at his clinic. We have been wanting to try the Gold Nugget for a while now and since it was in the area that is where we headed. Gold Nugget has been around forever but several years ago they totally rebuilt on the same site. I grew up in this area not too far away from this restaurant and it used to be a total hamburger dive.

IMG_1853

After dinner we drove over to the house I grew up in. My parents moved from this house about 10 years ago and I don't think I have been back in this neighborhood since then. The house is still in really good shape & seems well kept up... but it is now grey.. not blue. :)

IMG_1858

Then we drove back to the Glen Lake area and stopped at Dairy Queen. This is where I worked my very first job starting at the age of 15. When I started there, I made $3.02 an hour-- and I remember being so happy with that! :) I worked summers here for about 5 years.

IMG_1862

We went in to get a little treat, and oh my gosh it hasn't changed one bit!!

In 25+ years it still looked the same and it still smelled the same.I remember leaving work and having to go home and change immediately because I would smell like a big Dilly Bar or grease or something. :)

I chatted with the girls behind the counter a bit asking who the owners were now, discussing how the place hasn't changed at all since I worked there forever ago, and that it still smelled the same way. They laughed and said this place is kind of retro (ha!) and commiserated about the smell. :)

IMG_1860

Anyway, it was fun popping into my my old workplace. It brought back some great memories of working with friends, being super busy on hot summer nights with the lines going out the door, sitting by the fountain with our treats after closing...and it was a just fun place to work

No comments: