Tuesday, July 20, 2010

summer salads

This last month or so I have been trying to exercise more and have also have been trying to eat a little healthier. It is not always easy especially with our crazy schedule- but I do know that I feel so much better and I have more energy when I put healthier food into my body. And the older I get I find that to be even more true!! :)

The past few weeks I have been trying to make a few new salad recipes for dinners and each one has been so delicious. Plus, a salad always sounds so good in the hot summer weather—which we have been having a lot of this summer.

IMG_7008
Lime and Cilantro Chicken Salad
(This recipe is from Nordstrom's Cafe and is my all time favorite salad!!)

Dressing:
1/3 cup rice wine vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
2 teaspoons pureed chipotle chile's in adobe sauce
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup canola oil
1 cup fresh cilantro, chopped

Salad:
3 ears corn, grilled or roasted (2 cups)
1 1/2 pounds chicken breasts- seasoned with salt and pepper, cooked and sliced
1 1/2 pounds plum tomatoes, diced
1 pound mixed baby greens
2 cups Jack cheese, shredded
1/2 cup roasted red bell pepper, chopped
3/4 cup sunflower seeds
fresh cilantro

For the dressing: Combine all the ingredients in a blender or food processor.

For the salad: Remove the corn from the cob. Combine the remaining ingredients. Toss with the dressing and sprinkle with the seeds and cilantro.

Delicious!
-------------


IMG_7192
Greek Grilled Chicken Salad

This recipe I found on a (new-to-me) food blog and the salad was AMAZING!!! So Good- the whole family loved it- good! I will definitely be making this again!!

You can find the recipe here at Aggie's Kitchen.
-------------------

Another recipe I made was Pioneer Woman's 
Asian Noodle Salad
I thought for sure I took a picture of this---but for some reason I can't find a picture. This was a great salad- but when I make it again I would probably add some sliced grilled chicken and also cut the recipe in half---it makes a ton!!! But it is so good- the flavors are amazing!!
This recipe can be found here.
-------------------

And with all of the great vegetables in season right now I can't wait to try some more new salad recipes!!!

2 comments:

Tina Vega said...

You always have THE BEST recipes, Kathie. Can't wait to try the Lime and Cilantro Chicken Salad!!

theUngourmet said...

I just love eating salads in the summertime! These are definitely calling my name. ;)